Discover an adventurous storybook app that brings alive a trickster tale from South Asia. Starring: One spunky Grandma who hides herself in a giant gourd to escape from some very hungry animals, deep in the forests of Bengal!
You will get 4 rich experiences in your one-time download:
READ: An animated, interactive adventure story rich in gameplay, based on a Kirkus Reviews Best Book of 2013 children's picture book "Grandma and the Great Gourd: A Bengali Folktale," retold by best-selling author Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and richly illustrated by Susy Pilgrim Waters. Story mode features interactive gardening and gourd rolling mini-games.
ROLL: Play a rollicking, STEM-based mini-game inspired by the story as you roll Grandma through the forest & unlock powerful gourds of different shapes and sizes! Created with input from science educators.
RECORD: Story and Sound Effects Studios where you can create custom narrations & play with literary elements such as alliteration and onomatopoeia. Your child will love hearing his/her voice in the story and game. Parents, teachers, and grandparents can also use this feature to translate and record the story in another language; a great tool for bilingual homes and classrooms!
EXPLORE: Take a virtual field trip to South Asia to get a taste of its food, art, music, language, and clothing with our maps and In-App videos!
- Language: How do you say Grandma around the world?
- Dress: Learn to put on a sari!
- Animals: Meet the wildlife of the Sundarbans Forest
- Art: Discover Alpona, a traditional art form
- Food: Make "Puffed Rice Stars" with Chef Rama Ginde and her little helper!
PLUS: An original music score and voiceover by award-winning composer and voice artist Kamala Sankaram, recognized as "one of "10 cutting edge artists that have captured the imagination" (WQXR) and "strikingly original" (The New York Times).
- Read by Myself and Auto Read for Me modes.
- Text highlighting.
- Interactive Gardening mini-game.
- Physics-inspired mini-game, created with input of science educators.
- Recording Studio great for language localization for classrooms or bilingual homes.
- Free curriculum connections guide for educators and parents.
- No In-App Purchases; one time download.
- All text in Castledown, a dyslexic-friendly font recognized by Wired magazine as a "font designed to help kids learn to read and write".
- Great for traveling: No Internet connection needed to run app or play In-App videos.